This is the part of a blog where the writer tells you all the reasons he hasn’t been writing.
Fill in the blank _______________________________________________________________ is why I haven’t been blogging.
More than anything else, I just haven’t taken the time and sat down and wrote. Writing is like running for me. I love to do them both, but I have to schedule time for both activities and sometimes I just get lazy and stop. Luckily I always come back because I love them both so. Usually It takes a little bit of motivation for me to get on board and come back and today is no different.
Now for those of you interested in juice stuff, I have been actually writing down recipes and I will be creating a separate section on the blog for juicing and juice fast type things. I’m not going to commit to when I’ll get it up, but hopefully before my next fast (January 5 if any of you want to start planning now).
This fitness journey for me really start with Carlos Whitaker and his #fitbyfourth initiative he started back in the summer. That got me moving, fasting got some weight off and changed habits, and I’ve just kept at it. Well ‘Los is back at it again with #fitbyfirst coming at us right now. 31 days to get a jump-start on a healthier me. I’ve really done well watching what I eat, exercising, and continuing to lose weight, but everyone likes a little motivation from time to time. One of the keys to the Journey with ‘Los is to journal. I have terrible handwriting, so one again I’ll be bringing my journal here to share with you guys.
The first couple of days are easy…Take a before picture, make a video to yourself from yourself, and do the fitness test. All items are complete and I’m ready to get after it. 2015 will be my year to get back into the under 200 lb club. I also have plans for a half marathon and wait for it…muscles!!!! I also have a pile of personal and financial things that I have been working on and improving that will continue to move forward for me.
So I’m back…again…don’t hate me because I’m wishy-washy, just love me because…well…just because I need love darnit.
There are a few things I believe to my core. One of them is that when you really get sick of something you will do something about it. Truly getting SICK of something requires you changing how your brain works and how you think about things. In the #FitbyFourth challenge, ‘Los is going to challenge my way of thinking by proposing some questions to journal on. I’m sure there are plenty of us in various stages of diet, fitness, weight-loss, or health awareness. The ones that will be successful will not only form better habits but will also make changes to how they think about things because they are really finally sick of where they are. So here is my homework for week 1:
1. What are 3 things you have done in 2014 that you are PROUD OF?
- After almost 4 years of unemployment and underemployment I finally found a job that I wanted and can build toward the future with
- I managed to get through the spring travel baseball season without any financial stress associated with it
- I actually am doing Carlos’ challenge and taking it seriously
2. What did YOU DO to make those things happen?
- I’m notorious for starting things and not finishing. I’ve often said I’m the best starter in the world. When I actually stay the course to anything, I typically outperform my expectations.
3. Who HELPED you accomplish them?
- I was mostly helped by family and friends; specifically my son and the amazing aH78 crew as well as flashing back to my old friends from high school. What they did is as they have always done, they stood by me, supported me, encouraged me, and ultimately congratulated me.
4. How can you transfer those systems to THIS CHALLENGE?
- “Systems allow ordinary people do extraordinary things”. I don’t know who coined this quote but it has consistently been a rallying cry to the madness that is my career. I am, and always will be, a system guy. I flourish in an environment that has a proven system, but I also like the ability to adapt the system to the situation. I also have the most amazing family (I’m including my friends in the family). At the top of the mountain and the bottom of the hill, they have been there. Leaning into their wisdom, their experience, and their love is ultimately the backbone of everything I do successfully.
By the way ‘Los…HOMEWORK SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So here I go on Carlos’ fit by Fourth journey. Funding severely put a kink in my Crossfit workouts, so I’ve been taking what I learned and trying to stay active this last few weeks while my bank account becomes more accepting of my physical needs (probably for the best as well, I know I was on the line of pushing too far and hurting myself).
To start the journey it was a simple 3 day, 3 step challenge:
The challenge here was to simply move more than you normally would and to not do anything that you really don’t like to do as part one and then to complete a fitness challenge in part two. With it being a weekend baseball tournament, I usually sit in my chair and just watch my son play, but I made a point to walk…a lot…constantly. I don’t have a clue how long or how far, but I know I did a lot more activity this weekend than any other tournament weekend all fall.
40 air squats
30 sit ups
20 push ups
Lots of heavy breathing and tight muscles
Time: 6 minutes and 24 seconds.
This will be our baseline workout to measure our progress. I’d love to get a minute off this time over this seven weeks.
This part of the challenge was simple. Maintain your diet. I’ve always believed that it is way too hard to try to change multiple things about your life at the same time, so I’m very pro not going salad only. The challenge, though, was to record what I ate for the weekend.
- Egg & cheese sandwich
- Chicken burrito with Rice
- Ham & turkey sandwich and chips
- Saturday (Isnacked on chips andpowerade a lot this day being at the park)
- Breakfast scramble (biscuit, gravy, peppers, cheese)
- Hot dog, chips, soda
- Cheeseburger and fries from the grill
- Sausage burrito from McDonald’s and a giant soda
- Chicken nuggets
- Bacon cheeseburger and fries from Wendy’s
I realize the biggest room for weight loss and health improvement is my diet. I’m looking forward to hearing what Los has to say about the diet portion.
Carlos is a worship leader, and a very good one. Step three was to come up with a song or two or three or three million that is your all time go to jam for getting pumped up. I as well love music and studied it in college. Just picking one song is about impossible, but this one has gotten me over several humps throughout the years.
Challenge one COMPLETE!
On to round two.