Last January there was a Facebook phenomenon called “25 things”. The basic idea was for you to write 25 random things about yourself and publish them to the Facebook world. It was a super neat exercise. I learned so many deep things about my friends and many random funny things. People are fascinating. And these are just the people in my life. My friends have traveled the world, delivered babies, met famous people, and seen remarkable things.
So as an exercise I decided to reread my 25 things and see what I could learn about myself:
1. It took me way too long to realize what is really important in life
- This one hurts because I’m living the results of missing the boat for so long. I’m glad I am finally getting some perspective, but I look at all the wasted years and just shake my head.
2. I love public speaking and wish I could do it for a living.
- This is still true. I have recently pulled a lot of my books about “the business” of professional speaking. I have a lot of natural talent, but that is far from enough to make a living doing it.
3. I never thought I would ever coach Seaver in a sport, but I have found that there are few things more enjoyable than being around him and his friends learning a sport.
- If you have been around this blog at all, you know how much I love those kids. I have also found that it is the purest form of service and entertainment for me
4. I am great at starting things, but not as good at finishing them.
- Still an issue. I am actively working on this.
5. I am sad I didn’t have a “normal” family when I grew up
- I have realized over the last year and a half, how hard this really effected me. It really messed with my wiring. The good thing is I have really gotten closer to my brothers over the last year. I can’t imagine what it would have been like if we had started on a good note.
6. I am so much better off than I deserve
- Amen! My God is a good God and has my back.
7. I didn’t think I would like FB, but it has really reminded me of how many great people I have in my life.
- See my note on thing number 6
8. My wife makes me laugh all the time.
- She is now my ex-wife, but she still makes me laugh a lot
9. I have an addictive personality and constantly have to work to stay on track.
- One day at a time. It works if you work it.
10. My two dogs are angels on earth, Thanks God
- One of those dogs has gone to heaven to be with God. That was a hard decision to make to put him down. The other dog was sad but he now has a little puppy to keep him young along his side
11. I can’t remember my mom or dad ever saying they loved me.
- I can safely say that I still don’t remember if they said it, but I have forgiven them.
12. I am a very picky eater and have rules for most things I do eat.
- It sucks being a picky eater, but it still hasn’t kept me from being a little too heavy.
13. I wear a mouthpiece at night so I don’t snore.
14. In my allegiance hierarchy it is UGA then FSU
- Glory, glory to old Georgia!
15. I wish I had played football in HS
- Watching Seaver play and love the game is a pretty good plan b though 😉
16. Before I get to old, I want to do one more step show with my KKPsi crew
- Come on fellas, let’s make it happen!
17. Right now my favorite artists are Sugarland and Jay-Z, I continue to confuse myself
- Current confusion is the new Eminem and Lady A
18. It’s hard for me to really trust someone.
- Still hard, but I think I finally realize that I WANT to trust people.
19. I still hang out with my core crew from my childhood
- MOFO fellas! I love you guys
20. I have 0 style
21. I can’t believe that my “church home” is rock and roll and video screens
22. My wife is the best thing in my life
- She gave me the most amazing little boy ever, even in divorce she’s an amazing woman.
23. I have a fear of not being successful
- I constantly battle feeling like I’m a failure. I need more perspective as to what I am really doing.
24. Seaver is perfect
- Still perfect, just smarter, taller, faster, sweeter, and funnier!
25. Since my surgery I have a new appreciation for just being able to go out and play
- I also have an appreciation for how easy it is to get hurt (which reminds me, I need to go stretch).
Facebook people, go read yours again and see what you learn about where you were and where you are now.